Saturday, February 23, 2008

My New Paragon

Having beaten BFME's good campaign, I hadn't played any computer games for a while. So last week I decided to start a new character on Guild Wars. I had to use my last character slot, so unless I want to pay more this is my last character as well.

I decided to make a Paragon, one of the two new classes to the Nightfall expansion. It was nice to get back into the good old Guild Wars world, especially with such an interesting class. I took it nice and slow, enjoying a lot of aspects of the game that I hadn't payed much attention to since I first played over a year ago.

While I took the time to enjoy the game, I still progressed very rapidly, since after making five maxed characters I know all the ins and outs of the game. I just reached the max level, 20, with my paragon Lady Ravenna today.

It's been a lot of fun so far. The paragon class is a unique blend of a team-supporter and a ranged melee fighter. It uses spears, which can do quite a lot of damage when coupled with the strong Spear Mastery skills. The Paragon has a wide array of damage dealing options: skills that cause crippling and deep wound like Warriors, and moves that cause Blindness and Burning like Elementalist skills. I usually kept at least half of my skills as damage dealers or enhancers, so that I was sure to be able to pack a punch even when on my own.

The Paragon isn't just a solitary damage dealer though. It has probably the most options of any class to provide support to the team. It has the standard healing and protection skills like Monks use. It has skills that increase Defense and ability to dodge enemies, like the Warrior's tactics line. It also has a slew of unique buffs, like skills that make your entire party cause burning or crippling with their attacks.

And to my wondrous delight, the Paragon has an unprecedented amount of team running skills. I was able to craft a ridiculously useful Team Runner build for my Paragon, that allows you to run through areas with almost your entire team still intact. This build was not only useful for my Paragon character, but also for all of my Paragon Heroes on my other characters. Collecting Treasure and capping skills will be much quicker and easier now that I have a team runner. (I'll be detailing this build in the Walkthrough section soon)
But anyway, its been a pleasure to get back into the game without all of the addictiveness of trying to save up for stuff. I already have plenty of gear for my Paragon, so there was no need to worry about farming or saving up or anything. It was just good, pure fun.

And after all, isn't that what games should be?

~ Lady ~

No comments: